Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Adventure Island of Camiguin

~ Text & Photos by Aireen Navarro ~

Camiguin - is this really an adventure island? For seasoned adventure-racers, Camiguin is a challenging 'race-course' of rugged mountains and very tricky terrain. Some adventure-racers failed to finish the race --- either due to their self-endurance not able to keep up or they simply got lost while navigating in and around its verdant forests. A good thing I'm not an adventure-racer -- hahaha!!! Though I once thought about it but the training's too rigorous that involves very early mornings - so, never mind!

Born and raised in northern Mindanao (Iligan City), I've always wanted to go there. But never had the chance until after I finished my undergraduate degree. I had to drag my younger brother Angelo to accompany me two days before New Year's Eve in 2001 (or was it 2002???). We got there all right, but our budget's too low (we underestimated it) and there was no ATM so we're strapped for cash. We had to be very creative on how we haggled for the price of a 'multicab' which was the main transportation for hire when touring/exploring the island. Get this - from PHP 1,400, we brought it down to PHP 750.

As I wanted to visit White Island (sandbar) the next morning - we had to do 'water therapy' (aka skip dinner & breakfast) and stay at a really budget inn at the center of Mambajao (near the church). We made it to White Island - off course!! But almost missed the last ferry out of the island --- a good thing a local dive operator based in Mambajao was nice enough to let us hitch a ride up to the church in Mambajao where it's just a short walk to the jeepney terminal for the Mambajao-Benoni pier. We gorged down a very late lunch at Limketkai in Cagayan de Oro City after finally able to withdraw some cash, then got to Iligan City at 1800H on Dec 31st!!!

Years after that experience, my younger sister Charity had a school trip (combined BS Biology & BS Zoology classes). Since I was on a three-weeks vacation at home in September 2005 - I tagged along! Yup, I had to hang out with teen-agers.....hehehe. I was their official photographer but it's not a problem since I was able to take advantage of their 'student package rate.' That's an opportunity I simply cannot miss!!!



So what happened? I had a grand time in Camiguin - of course!!! I took a lot of photos at Tarzan'a Nest, Cold Spring, Hot Spring, Soda Water, Katibawasan Waterfalls, went snorkeling around White Island (sandbar), and trekked up to the Old Volcano where the Holy Week 'Panata' is held annually.

The gradually rising trail is dotted with 15 'stations of the cross' and at the 15th station of the cross - you're awarded with a beautiful view of the sea and the Sunken Cemetery (Guiob Church is not visible though as it's covered with trees).

My sister, her classmates and Professors left the island 2 days ahead. I stayed behind for my own R & R as I wanted to visit Mantigue Island and go diving. I arranged to dive 2 dive sites with 'Camiguin Action Geckos.' Our Dive Master - Barbie's a very nice lady who's originally from Bohol. She's very patient especially during the time when I had trouble with my bouyancy.

First dive of the day's at the 'Old Volcano' - it was FUN!!! The currents were a bit strong but when we got down to more than 22 meters underwater, the marine life's just fantastic! We saw a lot of very healthy soft corals especially sea fans. Also saw the elusive 'pygmy seahorse' bluish/purplish in color. This species is sooooo tiny if you don't know what you're looking for, it's very easy to miss out! Barbie and another divemaster definitely knew where to look coz we saw it!!! It's only seen 20 meters underwater or deeper.

I had to pull out of the second dive of the day. I got seasick during our surface interval. Man - those waves were strong!!! I puked out all my breakfast - eeeewwwww!!! I was so weak but I still wanted to dive - they patiently waited for me to get my bearings. But when it's time to jump-off the boat, I was just too weak. They went ahead and dived 'nudibranch city' while I and the boatman just waited for them. Lesson of the day -- never eat too much breakfast especially when you go diving!!!

Before leaving the island - I arranged for a local boatman to take me to Mantigue Island. The boat ride from Camiguin Island to Mantigue island only took 30 minutes (faster if via a bigger boat with more horsepower). This island has 3 dive sites around it (mostly coral gardens) and is protected. About a third of the island is composed of mangroves and you can even walk around it in just 10 minutes!!! There's a small community with an elementary school living on the island but they don't own it the land as it's government-protected.

I just contented myself in snorkeling but when I spotted 'poachers' - they were spear-fishing!!! I backed off. Better be safe than sorry! Left Mantigue Island and Camiguin sadly - I will surely be back!!! I had a great adventure - it's definitely an adventure island!!

No comments:

Post a Comment